The relation between what you care about and what you can control should determine where you focus your energy.
There are many aspects we care about in our lives. But only some of those, we have control over.
Likewise, we can exert control over many different aspects of life. But only some of those, we actually care about.
Our energy is best put where the two overlap.
"The world does not respond to need. It responds to seed."
— Jim Rohn
"God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I can't change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."
— Reinhold Niebuhr
“The more you pay attention to which of the things within your Circle of Influence actually are of concern for your life, the more you can focus your energy on what will actually make your life better."
— Philipp Hagspiel
- 📝 For a clear perspective on how influence and concern come together, check out this article.
A few further resources you might like if you find above idea interesting:
- 📚 Stephen Covey’s The 7 Habits Of Highly Effective People
- 📚 Phil Hagspiel’s You — The 4 Pillars of Self-Determination
- 📚 Don Miguel Ruiz’ The Voice of Knowledge
- 📚 Ray Dalio’s Principles
- 📚 Peter F. Drucker’s Managing Oneself
- 🎥 The School Of Life Youtube channel
- ✍🏼 Shane Parrish’ Farnam Street Blog